I’ve promised some serious catching up, but before I dig through photos and emails of the holiday season, I thought I’d share a truly delicious breakfast Chris and I have been enjoying (WAY too much!)
We’re once again doing the Whole Life Challenge – a fun diet & exercise program meant to help us get back to meeting fitness goals – and while I’m mostly revisiting favorite recipes from last year, I thought I’d give these bad boys a shot. I’m SO glad we did!
They’re pancakes, but they’re even better than pancakes. Basically just eggs, bananas, and almond meal, these breakkie treats are worth much more than the sum of their parts.
Paleo-Style Banana Pancakes
- 2 bananas (original recipe says overripe, but I prefer normal yellow bananas)
- 3 (heaping) tablespoons almond butter
- 1/2 teaspoon coconut oil
- 4 eggs, beaten
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 tablespoon melted butter (plus additional for the pan)
- Place almond butter & coconut oil in a microwave-safe bowl and nuke for one minute to soften. Mix well.
- In a separate bowl mash up the bananas.
*Side note! Don’t completely mash the bananas! The texture of the batter will be lumpier, but little bites of banana in the cakes makes it unbearably better! After comparing to blender-made mix, I won’t go back!*
- Pour almond butter / oil bowl into the bananas, mixing thoroughly.
- Mix in eggs, vanilla, cinnamon, baking soda. Add melted butter last.
- Heat the pan to medium heat. Add a pad of butter to prevent sticking.
- Ladle/pour batter into pan (we found that 6″ diameter cakes were perfect for flipping!) flipping once when bubbles appear in the top. (just like regular pancakes!)
- Enjoy with butter (and a dash of salt!)
I’ve made some adjustments from the original recipe from pudgytopaleo.com
UPDATE: Unfortunately the blog is now private or I would gladly share the link! ~Emma 06/2015